BELIEVABLE ACTING

BELIEVABLE ACTING

I’m just home from seeing some independent theatre.  It was a good play.  The acting was very believable.

But tonight’s production was long and a bit confusing.

Fundamental Rehearsal Room philosophy:  “The actor has two jobs to do … the first one is to ‘deliver the story’ … the second one is to ‘be believable’ while you are doing the first job.”

When we are watching an INeffectively told story its not too long before the ‘believable’ acting becomes totally irrelevant.

The ‘real’ performances tonight delivered about 20% of the potential entertainment for the evening.  The other 80% that was missing is all to do with STORY.

Actors have to learn that STORY is the key to any good entertainment.

Understanding story is the skill THE REHEARSAL ROOM teaches that you don’t find anywhere else.

 

This entry was posted in Acting, Storytelling. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *